PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 29th Jun 2021, 03:47
ebt

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
To be honest, REX may be the last Airline standing who knows! one thing is for sure QF will be loosing money like they haven't before, we will know in August, how long can QF pay for a idle international business. As for VA far out I wouldn't leave REX to go back I don't think they will survive Bain don't seem like the company to keep tipping in money in a business thats based in a country that is backwards and third world. Would Rex accept a 320 rated pilot?!.

Like I have posted before, you're kidding yourself if you think you're flying Internationally by 2023.
But remember that the Federal Government is still paying to keep the international business hibernated - how much, we will likely never know, but QF isn't carrying the can for all of that anyway. There are still many pilots and cabin crew stood down from that operation, so the cash burn cannot be horrendous. In any case, QF has been thriving domestically even with the turbulence caused by the flare ups, lockdowns and the like.

Bain know what they are buying into with VIrgin, and they have picked it up for a song, stripped out layers of management, renegotiated major contracts and have the airline on a footing more akin to Virgin Blue days. As for this "backwards and third world", that is why they bought into Virign in the first place - surivive Covid, get the airline back to its roots and the market is a license to print money.

Rex's issue is that they are going to bleed more cash than they planned with a subscale fleet, a network that is small and without the sort of brand that the other two have. The lockdowns were not a part of their plans, especially with most of the 737s based in MEL, so they will have to get a bit creative to raise some cash before they burn through PAG's swag. I would think that unlike a Bain, PAG may have less of a stomach to pump more cash into Rex if it is needed, and I don't think Kim Hai has the means to do so either.