PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocopter crash off Queensland north coast
Old 28th Jun 2021, 16:12
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Twist & Shout
I personally think the EC-120 is a delightful helicopter.
It does not have a large power margin like an AS350 B2/3 for example, or an easily ignored power limit like an R44 at sea level, for example.
Much like many helicopters (B47/B206/A109A/B222 for examples) it requires some thought, intelligent and appropriate techniques applied, especially when loaded near max gross weight.
I’d rate it’s performance as very similar to a B206III (But it won’t run out of TR authority, and it will record any exceedance’s)

Considering it is a much newer design, and the size of the boot - the performance is disappointing*, and leads to pilot induced problems. But you can’t depart vertically in B222B at max gross weight either, even on a cool night. Well, I can’t.

*Potentially designed this way, to prevent competition with other Airbus products.
Close to or at MTOW you have to plan your flightpath with most helicopters very carefully.
I recall pleasure flights with the Bell 206 where the ground crew brought the fat father with the fat mother and the fat kids just after refuelling - forcing the doors shut....
When I was young and not bold enough to say - NO
Creeped away in the ground cushion (but that's another thread here on PPRUNE)
Only, that the EC120 is recording over limits - while other conventional helicopters doesn't - shouldn't prevent a pilot to over torque - if it is required to survive.
Its shameful - and shouldn't be done on e regular basis - but better than crashing ...
If the other helicopters could tell, how often they have been mistreated - you would have to listen to long stories...