PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Props
Thread: Holiday Props
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2021, 07:53
Cuillin Hills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Delight
Can someone help identify a likely aircraft type for me? I flew for the first time from Glasgow to Jersey on a holiday charter some time around 1984 and I've always wondered what type of aircraft it was. I think the airline was Britannia and I am pretty sure it was a prop, but none of the historic fleet pages I checked show Britannia having props. The only other things I remember was that we couldn't land in Jersey because of the weather and were diverted to Bournemouth for an overnight stop and on the way back we landed somewhere in England (might have been East Midlands), got our luggage, cleared customs and then got back on the plane to Glasgow!
Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Highly likely that it was a British Midland Viscount (Midland 233/234/244/245)

Most days of the week in the summer the Viscount would operate

East Midlands - Glasgow - East Midlands - Birmingham - Jersey - Guernsey - Birmingham - East Midlands - Glasgow - East Midlands

As a youngster, I had a weeks holiday in Jersey in 1985 departing Glasgow at about 0845 in the morning - on the return journey, a week later, we flew the first sector to Guernsey and went tech.

Several hours sitting at Guernsey Airport (not a problem!) before being put on a replacement Viscount as far as East Midlands - overnight at EMA and catch the same Viscount on the first flight up to Glasgow first thing in the morning.

PS Part of the popularity of Jersey in the 1980s was most definitely down to the Bergerac television detective series