PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Props
Thread: Holiday Props
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2021, 12:12
ATNotts

Received 293 Likes on 164 Posts
rog747

One was the Dutch bulb fields
I remember them well in the early '70s. Clarksons were the tour operators in the main, offering short breaks or 3/4 days to Rotterdam from numerous airports around the UK, using mainly BMA and Channel Airways Viscounts. Trips included the obligatory excursion to the Keukenhof tulip fields, and I expect for the naïve traveller back in the day a windmill to be greeted by someone in full "traditional costume" including clogs!! (Isn't "national dress for The Netherlands a pair of pressed jeans these days!!!). At the same time as the bulb field trips Clarksons were also offering trips to Northern France flying into Beauvais using the same equipment. Not sure what the pull was for these but I image "Paris in the Spring" and possible Monet's garden. So far as I recall that market withered away with the demise of Clarksons Holidays.

I recall the overwhelming majority of the RTM and BVA flights from BHX were on BMA Viscounts which at the time were comparatively rare visitors to BHX, since at that stage they didn't have the licences to operate BHX/JER in the Summer, and routes such as BRU/FRA and LHR weren't on their roster. Occasionally the schedule threw in the odd Channel Viscount which were generally very much unusual in BHX.