PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NH-90 problems
Thread: NH-90 problems
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2021, 05:47
Blackhawk9

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
ISTR that when the RAAF helicopters were transferred to the Army, many of the experienced engineers chose not to go as they didn't want to be treated like grunts.
Yes I was one , the Army massively miscalculated with technicians, when the Navy lost the carrier and the fixed wing about 75 % jumped to the Air Force and some to the Army , the Army assumed when the Helo's went to the Army the techo's would follow , but most of us had years of working with Army with Iroquois, Chinooks and Black Hawks and the last thing most of us wanted was to be Army, because the numbers they expected to xfer never happened it meant RAAF personnel were at Army units for up to the next 5 or so years and the Army had to train more guys up than expected and experience level dropped accordingly.
Of interest in the early 90's a group from Army HQ Postings and promotions came to 5 Avn, to talk to techo's out of interest they asked the hypothetical question if the Helo's went back to the RAAF who would go , the whole room stuck their hand up, not the response they expected.
I was 9 Sqn RAAF (Iroquois & Black Hawks) and 12 Sqn Chinooks , then 5 Avn (still RAAF) , I did Army Reserve when I got out of RAAF at 5 Avn.