PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Props
Thread: Holiday Props
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2021, 17:10
Mr Mac

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts
My first flight was back from Zurich age 1 week in BEA Viscount. Subsequent holiday prop holiday flight were in Vanguards - BEA , Britannia's - Eagle, Viscounts - many Chanel Airways , BEA, Viking , Ambassador. Somebody mentioned Perpignan up the thread, and it was there that I witnessed on a still night in August around 1965 6 attempted landings by a Channel Airways Viscount. After the 3rd attempt the Fire station doors were opened and tenders moved out. The first passenger off got down the steps and threw up her dinner. Neither I, as a 5 year old, or my father who was ex aircrew, could understand what the issue was, as there did not appear to be any mist, and you could clearly see the A/C make their turn and the landing lights. There did not appear to be anything wrong with the A/C, as it took off at the same time as ourselves with passengers. We moved to Santiago in Chile in 68, and my long commutes to school began in 707,s though we did sometimes holiday in Europe after my school year ended and flew on Comets - BEA Air tours, BEA Tridents 1-11.
Cheers
Mr Mac