PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saddam Hussein Arrested!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2003, 14:09
BlueWolf
Lupus Domesticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GrantT, I don't have the slightest problem with Bush or American Imperialism. I just believe they should be honest about it. If the US decided to invade Zimbabwe tomorrow I would actually be the first to run up the Stars and Stripes, cheering wildly.

Yes, the Iraqis have been brutally oppressed for thirty years and this is their day in the sun; good for them and good on the US for delivering it. My only quibble is that we should all be honest about why it was done, and that has nothing to do with either WMD or terrorism, because Iraq under Saddam was involved with neither.

The people of Zimbabwe on the other hand have only been brutally oppressed for twenty something years, though the severity of that brutality is likely to increase dramatically in coming months.

The humanist in me salutes the US for taking down Saddam and liberating the Iraqi people; the cynic questions whether the same concern will be afforded to oppressed peoples who don't have oil or who aren't mucking about with the dollar.

West: you have me at advantage, Good Sir. Fair point.