PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NH-90 problems
Thread: NH-90 problems
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2021, 21:27
Doors Off

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackhawk9
UH-60M was available when the NH-90 was ordered (saw production versions at Sikorsky in US in 2004), Aust Army already had guy's in US to train on the Mike when the decision as made politely to buy the NH-90 (Wheat deal with France one of the big incentives , deal fell thru after NH-90 ordered), no one in Army wanted NH-90 ,Navy were the ones who pushed for it and are now getting rid of them, to be replaced with a Sikorsky product but Army stuck with it, reason ADF looking at little birds for Spec ops as the MRH can't do it properly , if we had 60M's wouldn't need to acquire little bird.
What, so the Australian Army had a squadron, 2 squadron’s a regiment’s worth of guys in the US ready to train on an aircraft that didn’t exist in 2004? The US didn’t even award a contract to Sikorsky for UH60M for it’s own forces until late 2007. But let’s not let facts get in the road of a good story. From the situation you are painting, it appears that the answer is the V280 or Defiant - it’s flying now and I’m sure there is an Australian in the US who could fly it and bring it to Oz.

I’m confused by the reasoning you provide in relation to “Little Birds” which Ned has pointed out, will be either H145M or 429. Is the reason the US use little birds because the UH60M can’t do the job properly?

Back to the thread though. I feel for the maintainers and aircrew in Oz Army Aviation who can’t practice their skill sets whilst their aircraft are grounded. Hopefully, as a tax payer, the maintenance system issues are resolved and they get airborne again soon.