PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2021, 20:09
PPRuNeUser0184

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuel-Off
I'd be happy to provide a few for you:
Spain
France
Italy
Iceland
Malta
Greece
Serbia
Georgia (the country, not the US state full of peaches)
Egypt
Czechia
United States
Maldives
Seychelles
Tanzania
Kenya
Thailand (Phuket only at this stage)
Germany (only certain cities will allow quarantine free travel at this stage)
Mexico
UAE

I'm sure there are many others, those are just off the top of my head. I just got back from a work trip in Italy yesterday in fact. You know, the same Italy that was on its knees with the pandemic last year? I, like my crew and passengers were allowed to be processed like human beings rather than diseased ridden lepers (just a thermal scan as you walk past passport control). We were allowed out of the hotel, enjoy the summer sunshine, chill out by a local restaurant sampling the local delicacies and beverages, like everyone else. The only thing is you had to wear a mask whilst indoors. Last week went to Chicago, everything was open and was able to enjoy the sights the Windy City has to offer!

'Yeah but they gotta wear masks!' I hear some from Australia howl, as if that's the only qualifier of success. Ask those in Sydney and Melbourne who at this very moment have to wear masks. Doesn't seem so successful does it? Australia has no end game with this. Vaccinate and then what? Still be subjected to lockdowns and blockades from within my own country?? You can have that thanks. Ask SloMo what the end game is, he has no clue. The Premiers are all too happy to pull the trigger on travel bans because it serves them well politically. The latest AZ issue only serves to benefit the PM as this helps justify the already glacially slow pace of the roll-out of the vaccine program in Australia. Just string it out long enough for the election and PRESTO! Supply is back to 150%! States can start the vaccine hubs and the 'medical advice' will change to favour reopening borders. Funny how much divine power and might these elections possess right? The stuff of miracles.

I for one look forward to next month when the other half and I go for a road trip around southern France (again another country that was bruised from the pandemic). At least they have a plan and are exempting vaccinated tourists from quarantine. Australia will just carry on with its zero covid obsession and spot fire lockdowns.

Do I sound like a braggart? I hope so. Because to be honest, I'm not sure I want to be in Australia right now.

Fuel-Off
Well said that man. Australia will be left behind (already is) and then in the coming years the political blame game and ass covering will be rife.

Australia's "leaders" are arrogant and incompetent.

The borders cannot and will not stay closed forever. Australia has become scared of its own shadow. The reality is the borders will eventually open and when they do Covid will circulate through our country like the Flu. We get vaccinated, practice good hygiene and learn to live with it Time for some leadership by ScoMo which involves communicating and educating the citizens about the reality of the situation going forward and what the end game is. The constant rhetoric by our "leaders" of keeping borders closed with no timeline and "keeping us safe" is growing old. We can't remain scared of our own shadow forever.

Last edited by PPRuNeUser0184; 24th Jun 2021 at 20:22.