PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple Daily to Close Tonight
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2021, 12:56
anxiao

Received 50 Likes on 11 Posts
Jmock the old china hands have been part of the problem for generations, as you know from your family history.

I must admit to a surprise that there is such agreement on this thread from a few (well two so far..) contributors that the Hong Kong government under its Beijing mentors is doing such a fine job. It is one thing being a mainland resident and regurgitating the China Daily themes of the last few years as you don't understand the other point of view. It is a Trumpian dystopia to have lived in Hong Kong and seen the value of its legal and press freedoms ripped up and open your arms to the appalling future to which the majority of Hong Kong people are destined.

Less hair I agree that if president Xi could have waited until 2047 then both Hong Kong and China would have both been very different political entities, much closer in many ways. I believe it was the main reason that the 50 years was agreed. But Xi cannot wait, as he knows that to be known as a famous emperor he must unite Hong Kong and Taiwan in his reign, and he is not getting any younger.

I fear there may be more eggs broken before his designs are satisfied, or frustrated.