PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates DECs
Thread: Emirates DECs
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2003, 12:23
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you to the last few posters who took the time to clarify what is happening there.

Hours are some measure of ability,but just piling up hours doesn't mean much.

I also find it interesting worldwide in some places that not being current appear to be a "big deal". Every airline is going to make you go through THEIR training program. While I have not flown a 777 or 767 in a few years, it would not take long to requalify. There is a great commonality between Boeings.

But I am not looking for a job. It appears to me that the job propects are better a year later than last year when I was looking.

I went back and saw the posting by ETOPS777.

Unless I put the wrong information in my handheld pocket calculator, EK paid way less than CAL. Of course, one has to take apples and apples. Most recently, many of the CAL guys are exceeding 70 hours which is the only guarantee. And sometimes CAL does cancel a flight and you lose the pay to the minimum 70 hours.

I have looked at the EK website a few times after the DEC Captain program started. I only calculated about $7000/month for a 777 Captain. Maybe that is the base number for the minimum hours,but if that is correct and that is the pay, it is substantially less than CAL is paying.

Now I agree that CAL does not pay for educational funds to educate children. So if you have kids and that is important, you either don't apply, pay it yourself, or commute as most of the people do.

I think that some airlines out there did or do pay more than the CAL housing allowance. But again it just depends what standard you want and whether you have a house of kids or any expensive demanding wife.

I am waiting to be convinced.