PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 16:05
Slow Biker

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
During a conversation with my SEngO about the merits of going to Biggin Hill he gave me encouragement with the sage words: when the **** hits the fan, the officers get the best bit.
I did go but failed, evidently I couldn't put myself in an unreal situation, but do come back for another go. That was enough for me as I knew I would be found out at Cranwell - I just didn't have that burning desire to be an officer. Family pressure had a part to play, an uncle a retired SL and a cousin married to a 1 star RN officer, me just a sgt.
Years later it was suggested I go the commissioned WO route but the family was well settled and I had the dream job as a squadron WO, so no thanks.

Talking of being found out at Cranwell, I had a friend in the air cadets who wanted to be a pilot. During my boy entrant training we met, he had made it to Cranwell and was on his way to fulfil his dream. When I'm a pilot he told me, I'll give my helmet to an erk and tell him to paint on it my design, it might even be you! Some friend.
Months later we met again and I asked how things went at Cranwell, oh I left, he said, they were teaching things I did at school so it was a waste of time. Yes, Cranwell will find you out.