PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rolling take offs in a Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 12:55
SASless

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
The Bell 47G2 at Redhill on a Summer Morning with two of us aboard made for an interesting takeoff.

A certain large framed fellow with an Aussie accent and I were to do some training in the G2 in anticipation of my doing a Check Flight for my UK ATPL.

Being full of Gas (the aircraft) and the two of us onboard.....I hit the Up Stop on the Collective and Max Throttle and other than some vibration change....there was no discernible movement by the skids.

When asked by the CFI...."What you going to do now Shag?".....I uttered those famous last words of some helicopter pilots....."Watch this!".

The grass was still wet with Dew.....and with a bit of wiggling of the cyclic we were off like a herd of Turtles until we finally gained enough speed to achieve ETL....and leave the ground.

In time...we were at Pattern height and went on to doing Confined Areas....with Towering Takeoffs being done in ultra slow motion.

There are real risks in doing limited power takeoffs as there can be less than adequate margins should you goof it up.

We used to pick up to a three foot hover....check handling and power available....then land back and proceed to do a takeoff from the ground barely touching the toes of the skids to the ground to use the least amount of power possible when we were at max power at the three foot hover.

As seen in the video.....as a Gun Ship does a takeoff but in the video it does have an excess of power required looking at the way it maneuvers.