PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Props
Thread: Holiday Props
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 07:11
ATNotts

Received 290 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Musket90
Remember seeing Sobelair DC6's during summer season at Glasgow, Renfrew early to mid-60's. I think they operated to/from Ostend. Also British Eagle Britannias at Renfrew doing seasonal Newquay flights every Saturday.

Flew early 70's in Cambrian Viscount Liverpool - Jersey and returned on Northeast Viscount to Leeds/Bradford.
That reminds me, in the very early 70s I remember Ulster Air Transport / Air Ulster (were they one and the same company??) operating IT charters by DC3 between Birmingham and Oostende. I seem to recall the operator was Lumbs Tours (can't remember why that name sticks in my mind). On one occasion I remember cycling to the airport to see the DC3 which was as it turned out running late. I hung on until nearly dark then rode my bike home. Of course, no mobile phones in those days, and I didn't have the presence of mind to use a phone box to tell my mum and dad where I was, and when I got back I got a right bollocking for getting back late - I had clearly worried them something rotten!!

Anyway, those must have been some of the last ITs to be flown by DC3 - though of course Intra Airways were operating schedules between Staverton and Jersey using the type much later.