PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rolling take offs in a Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2021, 03:13
Ascend Charlie

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts
Usually when departing in the 76 from KSA at Sydney with a full load (or even any other time), we would be rolling along the taxiway from the GA area, and would get the takeoff clearance before reaching the holding point - just increase the collective a little, a small amount of forward cyclic, keep rolling along and it just lifted off around 20 kt. Then add power as required. I expect it was just translational lift that caused the takeoff, as there was not sufficient power applied to hover. Taking off from our private heliport at the other end was similar, I had about a 50m runup along the taxiway to the pad, and launch into the blue. Private operation, no requirement for single-engine accountability, but usually we had power to satisfy the requirements anyway.

I would practice running landings at other uncontrolled airports when empty, just using less than 45% dual Tq, touch down less than 45kt, the brake limit was (I think) 38kt or thereabouts, but the machine was slowing anyway and I would need to add power to get to the taxiway exit.