PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Widebody Holiday Jets
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2021, 07:55
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 300 Likes on 168 Posts
Blimey, that one passed had me by, most accident/incident reports I saw back then were in Pilot so perhaps they didn't publish a synopsis of that one.

I remember being in the spectators gallery awaiting my brother who was arriving on a Virgin 747 - they did a very late go around from 08 after a BCal 1-11 began its take off run - no idea whether it had been slow to go or had taxied on to the active in error which seems very unlikely, nor do I remember whether it abandoned its take off which does seem likely.

Saw a Pan Am 747 do the same from 28R at Heathrow some 40+ years ago, culprit this time was an Aztec. Don't ask me why the Aztec was taking off from the landing runway; what I do recall was the 747 S turning at quite low level, left off to one side of the runway, then right to avoid flying over the terminal area. I assume the first officer was flying and wanted to see where the Aztec was! Memory says he was airborne but stayed quite low. Ooops!

I see another Continental 747 had an incident with two offset approaches to 26 at Gatwick and do I recall a 737 landing on a taxiway? Possibly what is now 26R/08L but before it was so designated.