PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future UK pilot wanting to live and work in EU - UK CAA or EASA license?
Old 20th Jun 2021, 21:28
futurepilot22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future UK pilot wanting to live and work in EU - UK CAA or EASA license?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I am actively looking at flight schools to get an ATPL.
I am wondering if anyone can give me advice on if I should aim for a UK CAA license of an EASA license. I am a UK citizen but ultimately dream of living and working in the EU as soon as possible.

My understanding is that it would make sense to go for the UK CAA license since I already have the right to live and work in the UK and so can get a job with a UK airline with no complications. Then I could transfer to an EASA license if I get a job offer with a European Airline and if I can achieve the right to live and work at the required European base. Anyone able to elaborate on or agree with this approach?
The only downfall I see is that transferring from UK CAA to EASA would require me to redo my initial medical with the appropriate EU member state.

Obviously I am at the start of this process and can't afford to be picky on what airline I want to fly for, but my dream is to work and live abroad and fly short haul around Europe so I would currently like to fly for Ryanair. Because of this, would it be more sensible to go for the EASA license in the hope to get a job with Ryanair or another European Airline straight away? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
It would be good if there could be some sort of joint license between the UK CAA and EASA now that brexit has happened. Not sure if this is something that is under consideration by the aviation authorities....

Many thanks in advance.