PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would a CPL have cost in 1988?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2021, 10:28
pbwhi0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roj approved
G’day All,

I started ASBK in ‘89, $91 dual, $81 solo in the Pa28.

Did my Unrestricted PPL + NVFR, then a 30 hour trip getting lost in the outback. Back the the flying school and straight onto the Instrument Rating on the Pa28, then the Mighty Duchess, Be76, to finish off.

I had about 155 hours at the end of the MECIR, so only needed to do a few Nav’s to be ready for the CPL test.

Then out looking for a job with all the others at the back end of the pilots dispute.
Hey Roj, I can relate. Early 1990 I gained the CPL and ME IR. Pilot's dispute just coming to an end so a heap of 500-1,000hr CPLs ahead of me. Over the next 15 years built a few hours then parked the licence for 15 years. Late 2019 dusted off the old Part 5 licence and upgraded to Part 61 - some training then BFR and commenced IFR recency training with the aim to resume an aviation career, albeit belatedly. Then COVID hit so parked the refresher training

Back in 1990 the CPL, ME IR cost me around $30,000 and included ATPL subjects. Instructor rating in 1991 was around $7,000. All 50 hours was with rated instructors - we didn't do any mutual with other instructor students which I believe was allowed back then.