PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF To MAM
Thread: QF To MAM
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2003, 06:03
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend that recently turned down a position with MAM for Sydney, she was on the QF Shortlist. Before she turned it down she asked if she would still be on the QF Shortlist and she was assured by QF HR that she would be. Well 3 days later she received an e-mail advising that she was no longer on the QF Shortlist and thanked her for her application to Qantas and just to add insult to injury advised that she must wait 6 months from the date of the e-mail before reapplying to QF. I read the e-mail and couldnt believe what I was reading. But then again thats QF in a world of their own sometimes. I have heard from other people that they have remained on the shortlist even after turning down MAM so go figure!!

Making the decision to take a casual position with MAM would be difficult. There is no guarantee of hours or income, and during the downturn when their was surplus crew MAM casuals were getting no work.

MAM is still a contract company and QF are under no obligation to look after the crew employed by MAM. Having said that though, the FAAA do pursue the interests of MAM crew, but I suppose that is why they are members.

The situation could very well occur where people off the shortlist (that turned down or weren't offered MAM) are offered fixed term or even permanent positions with QF next year, how would you feel about your decision then? Just because you work with MAM will not guarantee you a better position in the future, people off the street could very well walk into these jobs if and when it happens and you could be left behind at MAM, as there is no way Qantas will take all MAM casuals into fixed term or perm positions before recruiting externally.

You are between a rock and hard place, go for it if you can afford to do it financially and afterall it is a foot in the door but dont go in expecting you will get preference over the next external recruitment or even people that remain on the shortlist because you probally wont.

Last edited by GalleyHag; 16th Dec 2003 at 13:21.