PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The return of 19 Sqn and 78 Sqn
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2021, 13:26
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
Given its new role, will the new 20 reverse its motto to verba non facta?

LJ, Putting my nerd hat back on; my list was just dormant squadrons and should have also contained 30 which disbanded after the list I have was compiled and has seniority close to V's. I think they are both senior to all you mentioned except 8 which serendipitously has the 8th highest seniority so would have to be dormant a long time to be overtaken, but it has already been announced as the Wedgetail squadron. 13 has just over a month's seniority over 39 so its a toss up. 32 is senior to both and to 33 which is senior to 230 all are senior to all the other dormant squadrons (i.e. Excluding V and 30).

As 33, (like 25 and 41) was previously a Bloodhound Unit, as a formerly dark blue interloper, I would hope the former members were not looked down on by their Puma successors.

I can't make my mind up if I think this numberplating of ground units as squadrons with a long history is a good idea or not; I have come around to the FAA using numbers from the 17XX series for a similar purpose (which may make more sense). In my gut I agree with Nutty and Timelord but in by head I think that in the networked, RPAS, and autonomous UAV dominated air battlespace of the future it may not be a bad idea from a morale and esprit de corps perspective to give them numbers but maybe it would be better to use ones from the RAF Special Reserve and RAuxAF ranges or the 551+ range allocated to OTUs for use under Operations Saracen and Banquet for defence of the UK in the event of invasion.