PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The return of 19 Sqn and 78 Sqn
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2021, 10:54
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Timelord

I know I’m the guy that usually challenges the ‘grumpy old men’ on here but I might surprise you this time.

I agree with you!

In the same way that RAF Regt Field Sqns have their own numbering system I would rather they had adopted a similar thing for these units.

Since I’m still serving I look at it through the lens of Sqn association dinners.

I will use 6 Sqn as an example (since I am a former member).

I would feel uncomfortable as a currently serving pilot turning up at a 6 Sqn dinner populated by lots of junior Typhoon pilots. Once I am retired I would have no problem showing up. However, if 6 Sqn were to become an administrative unit I don’t think I would want to go to an association dinner as a former pilot. It just wouldn’t feel the same.

I am also a proud former member of 19 Sqn (yes I know, not from when it flew proper jets) and this is how I would feel about a current 19 Sqn dinner. I just wouldn’t feel the same way about an association dinner now as I did several years ago.

I realise nothing I say will affect anything and my ego should have no bearing on it but I can’t help the way I feel.

BV