PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starter kept running
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2021, 10:54
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Are you sure the loadmeter showed a positive reading, not negative?
I don't entirely understand either, the loadmeter showed it charging in the green during the pre takeoff check, neither of us gave it more than normal thought, as we did not realize yet that there had bee a malfunction.

"Starter engaged lights" are actually a requirement under some authorities for some aircraft, though I have not heard of them for turbine helicopters before. But now I see the reason. I worked in piston engine maintenance for many years and saw the damage done by a starter which kept turning after the start, pilot unaware. I know of several piston engines which required complete replacement because of the damage done to the whole engine (bits of starter drive scattered throughout the engine). Happily, the Allison design is not as vulnerable this way. My suggestion of a shunt an ammeter was at the request of my friend and the maintainers asking how this could be prevented in the future, fearing that this could have resulted in an engine compartment fire (and there's no fire detection back there). Approving modifications to aircraft is how I make my living, good things can still be made better sometimes...