PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Forward Air Controller short story.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2021, 07:42
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
Another is Gary Cooper's Sock it to 'em Baby. I worked with Gary in Ansett and his book is a good description of the risks these FAC's took. Others include Call Sign Rustic by Richard Wood and Naked in Da Nang by Mike Jackson.

I met 'Rustic 03' on a Cruise Ship several years ago. Bob Clifford, nice bloke and very interesting company. He flew the O-2 and the OV-10 Bronco.

Even though they were scout operations in Hughes OH-6A , Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills is another cracker of a read, up there with Chikenhawk by Robert Mason.

On March 18th 2014, I ferried a 737 to Dothan in Alabama for freighter conversion and paid a visit to both Fort Rucker, the Army Museum, and Pensacola, the Navy one. Hugh Mill's Helicopter is hanging from the ceiling at Fort Rucker complete with bullet hole patches. In Pensacola, Gary Coopers Cessna Birddog is hanging from their ceiling. Serial '981, Gary's old mount, was the famous aircraft that landed on the deck of the USS Midway in April 1975. Major Bung Ly of the Vietnamese Air Force landed with his family of seven on board!

Fascinating history and makes Airline flying seem mundane in comparison. Still, boring equals old age and I have no problem with that.