PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Managed descent, altitude constraints, radar headings
Old 14th Jun 2021, 21:56
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
Never mind, moving along. How do you (well familiarized) guys feel about using managed speed for deceleration and flap extension - if the ATC scenario allowed it?
I do it, hell, I even let the aircraft activate the App Phase itself by flying over the Pseudo WPT.

Luckily, for me, Australia is not overly busy, and the STAR’s have improved somewhat with many joining RNAV-X (RNP-AR’s). These have built in slow downs, so now, if there is no ATC intervention, the whole thing can be flown managed and flap taken on speed all the way to the threshold.

It’s a beautiful thing to behold.

What’s even more fun is to watch the F/O (or Check Capt) squirm because I haven’t played the FCU like Billy Joel the whole way down to follow the Managed DES and SPEED all the way to the Threshold, taking flap as required. 😂

But, when ATC get involved, a simple 3x calculation, and a liberal use of Speed Brake usually does the trick.

As to the OP’s question, SOP’s allow the dialling in of cleared ALT, if we are then instructed to turn off the STAR/level off, new HDG/ALT is to be entered on the FCU. (In this case, I would usually enquire if the ALT restriction still applies)