PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of ATPL revision days before taking exams
Old 12th Jun 2021, 13:08
guyLivingInFinland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importance of ATPL revision days before taking exams

Hello, I'm selecting an ATO to do a fully (or mostly) distance learning ATPL theory course. Some claim that it doesn't matter which school you choose, just pick the cheapest one. Others say it's extremely important that a school in addition to the theory itself teaches you to actually deal with all those tricky exam questions.
My final candidates with approximate prices are: ASG (~3600€), Bristol (~3000€) and Bartolini(~2500€).

AGS and Bristol are 100% distance learning, provide support during the self-study time, split the training in 3 modules and provide revision days after each module.
Bartolini provides no support during self-study and a single 18-day in-class revision session (however, I can still plan my studies in modular way).

AGS and Bartolini are using PadPilot, Bristol has their own system. Couldn't find any fresh reviews comparing the quality (since PadPilot revised their books last year and Bristol also claims to have "state-of-the-art" system, so I take it it was updated recently as well).

I'm working full time, demanding job, family, so I prefer to pass the exams in 3-4 modules spread across a 15 months, rather than attempt to do all 14 exams in a row.

Now the big question is how important are those revision days after each module and support during the studies (given similar quality of training materials). I think that theoretically, I could study 3-4 subjects then do a full revision at Bartolini to get ready for first set of exams and then be completely on my own for the rest of the studies and exams. Also I have a friend who just got his CPL and some professional pilots that I know who I might ask questions time to time + forums, so I'm not left in a complete void in a way. But then again, maybe it's worth paying more and get those revisions before each exam session and also the support from instructors during the studies?

I'd very much appreciate thoughts on revision days and during-self-study support importance and any experience for PadPilot vs Bristol. Thanks!

Last edited by guyLivingInFinland; 12th Jun 2021 at 22:38.