PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizzair
Thread: Wizzair
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2021, 06:10
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Often overlooked, there was a large pool of western pilots who relocated east (broadly speaking) to start and develop their careers at Wizzair.

Their full intention was never to stay at the base location for good. Typically to either relocate back home for EZY or RYR (better yet the legacies) or move further east for a properly paid ex-pat career. ME3, India or China.

Getting the boot accelerated this movement even if most of the historically expected options do not exist at this moment. Arriving to AUH on Wizz contract is not really it, even if some ME3 managers get thrown in.

Jokes aside, there is some grass-root movement. Eurowings just announced a 3 aeroplane-strong base in Prague, where WZZ could not get traction in the good days.

The western LoCos are working to secure workforce for the next 10 years to avoid HR bottlenecks in growth which is their shareholders' mantra. 1500 hrs cadets will go hot off the shelf to legacies - they're young, well trained and pre-selected already. The pink will have a hard time keeping them onboard namely because there's no good answer /or any answer/ to the question What happens after my command?

The opportunities for LHS will remain limited to ACMI providers until fast-track lanes show up in the west about 2 years from now.

If the good progress we're seeing continues on the battlefront against atypical employment modes, there is a stable future ahead.

And the long-awaited day when WZZ could still keep their east and cheap bases but no longer have access to an overabundance of western pilots who used to undervalue themselves at career start, below the proverbial McD's shift leader in their home countries.

Last edited by FlightDetent; 12th Jun 2021 at 06:39.