PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - White - Red STROBE LIGHTS and Anti-Col Lights
Old 15th Dec 2003, 22:58
pa42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And within the next 10 years . . .

50 years flying and I have yet to credit first-detection of another aircraft in daytime to its strobe light(s). My vision checks OK during physicals; but nonetheless, I consistently spot other aircraft as micro-dark-objects against the background rather than as flashing strobes. Later the strobes become visible.

I know I'm abnormal in several other regards (most of them secret, but all those women are lying), but does anybody else find daytime strobes irrelevant?

Landing lights are a completely different thing. THEY really stand out. Especially the pulse-lite system.

But only if the attacking aircraft happens to be pointed at your face. Which is, of course, when you most need to see them; but there are numerous cases of midair collisions occurring when pilots were looking THE WRONG WAY trying to spot called traffic indistinguishable from the side, and got blindsided by the other traffic coming from where they weren't looking.

SO: once the FAA catches on to the new opportunity to make headlines promoting safety, I predict we'll be outfitting all newly certified aircraft (if not the entire fleet) with incandescent spotlights/floods POINTING IN ALL DIRECTIONS. Four should do it, maybe six? And, if they spec them for lower intensity/longer filament life, they will probably be required ON at all times during the day. Nighttime? What's your guess?

Remember, you saw it on PPRUNE first!

By the way, does anybody else find that other aircraft are MORE visible (against a gray featureless background) during restricted visibility (1-3 miles), and become extremely difficult to spot in severe clear? I can't quite understand why everybody talks about greater collision risk during restricted visibility. Missing something?