PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 222 & 230
Thread: Bell 222 & 230
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2003, 22:43
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
CC5, if you look in the "gallery", p20, you will see what can happen if you go into icing, under controlled conditions. The ice can build rapidly on the rotor, and I suspect a-222 has an improved blade section than we had, so it will probably affect it more. A rise in Tq. for a steady state( level, constant speed) means you are picking it up.I don`t know how well a Bell rotor will self-shed the ice, so I suggest you don`t try to find out either. Ice can also be accumulating on the fin and stabiliser, depending also on exhaust immersion/speed. This can also lead to a stability problem if you have an autopilot,ie the a/c will become "wallowy", and run out of authority.
The engine intakes, if you have grills fitted can also become coated and choked, unless they are heated, and finally, if you get iced up , beware when you come out of it as when it warms and breaks off, it could damage the t/r, or go down an intake.

As I don`t know the -222, all/any/ none of the above may apply as there are so many combinations of temperature/ droplet size/ concentration, that what may be safe in one helo , may be dangerous in a different type, in the same cloud environment,
particularly if it is of a cumulo-form cloud..

Hope that puts your mind at rest for the winter....!