PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi engine helicopters - Governor failure procedure
Old 9th Jun 2021, 02:47
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the redundancy is so redundant with dual digital electronic engine controls that the high side governor failure is extremely unlikely. I've never heard of it happening, but it is still in the RFM for the S76C++. However I am aware of real life DECU MAJOR malfunction where the fuel flow is fixed (in the position the fuel metering valve was in when the malfunction was sensed by the DECU). This is a more realistic training exercise in the simulator than doing the DECU hi-side. In recurrent training I would bring it on during the take-off roll before CDP (i.e. when the engines were at a high power setting). Crew response went one of two ways. More often than not the malfunction was not noticed by either pilot and they continued the take-off and climb out, despite a big blue warning light being on right in front of their eyes. The malfunction only being noticed when power was reduced when establishing cruise flight and the torque split becoming apparent. As long as the good engine is still delivering torque the NR will not increase. On the rare occasion the malfunction was noticed early the take-off would be rejected and land back on the runway, which is exactly the wrong thing to do. Because they lower the collective all the way at touch-down and the NR goes off the dial and there you have a needless $1M repair bill. When I hear a crew departure brief "any malfunction before CDP I'll reject back on to the runway" I will give them that malfunction and they will see why it is not a good idea to reject the take-off with a fixed high power setting. You need to keep flying, get a safe altitude, PNF get out the ECL and deal with the issue as written. It is a very easy malfunction to deal with, and an expensive one if you act in haste and mess it up.