PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some truth about the ML incident
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2003, 20:32
Chapi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asbestos pants on ….

"Statement + no proof = rubbish"

This goes both ways. No one can provide PROOF via this forum … so we need to rely on reasonable discussion to determine the credibility of the writer and judge their comments.

Unfortunately, some have destroyed their credibility with their one-eyed comments.

"just operate like pros"

Most pilots (RPT, IFR, VFR ….) are professional and display good airmanship … but just like this and other forums … there's always a few that don't. They're the one's to worry about.

In this case I fail to understand the airmanship of a pilot who flies a good performing IFR-capable twin, VFR into a busy IFR area:
- Failing to "see and avoid"
- Without contacting ATC until fairly late
- Intending to proceed into C airspace at a major airport without a flight plan
- Eventually submitting flight details via the ATC frequency - the least preferred method
- Expecting a VFR clearance to a destination where wx reports and forecasts reflected non VFR conditions.

On the "see and avoid" … it's pretty hard to see and avoid aircraft closing at a great rate of knots from above/below and behind. By the same token … I seem to recall that the forward and down visibility from the B737 flightdeck is pretty limited.

ATC, too, are pretty professional. That might explain the cool R/T even under difficult circumstances.

As an aside …. And I'll really be flamed for this … but, generally, ATC know more about flying and aircraft performance, than pilots know about ATC operations and procedures. It's part of the ATC job to know, but not a part of a pilot's job to know how to do ATC.

TCAS is an automated system that interrogates other transponders - neither the crew nor ATC have any input, and, I believe, pilots are required to respond to RA's reported by their TCAS. An RA in controlled airspace generally requires immediate notification to ATSB.

And just to get the facts in order ... VOZ didn’t report sighting the C421 til AFTER the RA !

Still the scariest thing I've ever seen.

Is it safe to take the asbestos off now ???