PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC 1-11 Holiday Jets
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2021, 12:01
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
I flew on Gulf air 1-11 up and down the Gulf in 1973, a lot quicker than the F27s and with Aer Lingus BA and Laker. A 1977 trip LGW to Athens seemed along way on a 400? series. Made it ok but suffered the fractured engine start shaft on start up for the return sector. Gloomy PA from the FD after most heard a heavy clunk noise . Overnight in ATH and strange flight back with numerous SAGA charter pax many of who started having serious breathing difficulties with the hosties running around with portable O2 bottles like dishing out tea, We were flying exceptionally high , said word from the FD, to ensure a direct trip fuel was an issue. we made it, so did the old dears but even wife and I in mid 20s felt it was a little hard to breathe. What sort of altitude could a 1-11 make.
It was on Brit standards a very succesful aircraft but I have to agree that it appeared very much second best to the DC 9 which i have to say, especially in its MD 80 giuse was the nicest of the narrow bodies to fly on so long as you set at the front with just the two seats and it was SAS .