PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR Technical Crew
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 09:21
elspread

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
There is no front-line SAR in the UK military now (apart from 84 Sqn in Cyprus). Most went to Bristow when the service was privatised. Few outside of UK SAR will have kept up their professional medical qualifications.

Ambulance technician level was what was required for winch operators - paramedic is for winchmen.
Sorry for not being clear in my previous post. I appreciate there's no longer any SAR units but was just wondering if Bristow were counting on folk who hadn't previously transferred (hence asking for a year experience for winch op). Now with the only route towards being a paramedic being a full time degree will that mean the end of the "technician" role? Do you think the emphasis will be purely on employing health care professionals and not those who may have more of an aviation background? I know there's a long tradition of some excellent rear crew working for Bristow/CHC who weren't initially paramedics and was just wondering if this route will be closed off in the future to all those who aren't HCPC registered etc.
​​​