PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the First Time, Drones Autonomously Attacked Humans. This Is a Turning Point.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 07:58
Bob Viking

Received 548 Likes on 149 Posts
Angel has Fallen

With too much time on my hands I often find myself searching for entertainment on Netflix. I recently watched the movie Angel has Fallen. It's not very good and I wouldn't recommend anybody watch it. Except for one scene which is very relevant to this thread.

The scene involves a swarming drone attack on the US President and his security detail. Whilst it is obviously 'Hollywoodised' it is not too far beyond the realms of what is actually possible nowadays. It is very thought provoking and vaguely terrifying.

It makes you realise that cheap, numerous drones could make humans on the battlefield just as endangered and disposable as they became on the battlefields of WW1. Back then widespread use of machine guns and more modern artillery caused unimaginable levels of casualties and we were slow to learn. Now we might find intelligent drones could seek out and overwhelm ground forces so easily that they should either not show up or stay inside their heavily armoured vehicles.

These numerous drones could be ground or air deployed. Just because we in the West worry about the implications of such technology on civilian populations others will not care so much. Indeed Iran (and their proxies) have already shown a willingness to use drones quite freely.

BV