PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi engine helicopters - Governor failure procedure
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 19:42
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
212Man.....contradictions abound in that far off Centre of Excellenc don't they.

I had a Generator Light on an engine....and per the ECL...I was to turn that Generator Off and then shutdown the engine....which I did per the Checklist despite my gut feeling that there was no reason under the Sun for doing that.

Somehow...some Sky God in the lofty realms of the main Centre of Excellence had ordained that be the procedure due to some bad Generator Bearings somewhere in the World.

I got challenged by a lesser Sky God for following the ECL

So....I would suggest we broke even between us.

Do you recall the Pilot that had a high side governor failure at a hover at the Warri IA who set the aircraft down all the while with the throttle full on....and the rotor blades making a really unhealthy din and finally got around to rolling the throttles off.....then who rolled the throttles back on and repeated that bit of wonderful airmanship?

Aucky....your point about the stuck governor is absolutely correct....moving the Collective (or in the Chinook the "Thrust Lever") instantly identifies the bad engine.

You noted I use that same collective movement to confirm my analysis after going through my routine.

I have seen lots of flights cut short in the Sim after the wrong engine was shutdown or the wrong fuel valves moved....or fuel pumps shut off while at an altitude too high to do without them.

That is why I advocate not doing anything beyond what is absolutely required to regain control of the Nr..

Helicopter Pilots live or die because of Nr.