PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi engine helicopters - Governor failure procedure
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 15:13
212man

Received 338 Likes on 190 Posts
the Thrust Lever (Collective) tucked right up under my arm. to try to control the Rotor RPM....and thus adding the good engine power to the combination.
How does that work then?

In addition to the above replies, remember to not lower the collective in a rush with relief once on the ground, or it tends to negate all the work you just did! I have seen an FDM trace of a flight with a stuck governor, where they spent over 2 min on the ground at 106% Nr after landing, and needed an engine change......

I had an incident, that SAS will sympathise with, where I was sitting on the ground in a B212 waiting for some client managers to board from their houses, in an estate about 25 min from our main base, when I had a runaway up. I closed both throttles immediately and was about to open the Idle Stop to close them completely (per ECL), when I realised that the engines had responded and were now at IDLE Ng - thereby telling me it was an Nf governor failure and not Ng. To assist with trouble shooting for the engineers, I slowly opened each throttle in turn to what should be the governed Nf/Nr range, to see which behaved itself and , sure enough, one throttle maintained 100% Nf/Nr when it continued to be opened, and the other just kept taking the Nf/Nr with it. So I shutdown and called base to say "Number 2 Nf governor failure" and in due course the engineer flew in and replaced it and we flew home. Cue bollocking for not following the ECL to the letter.......(i.e not opening the IDLE stop and shutting down during the run up!)