PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737-200 'Holiday Jets'
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 12:29
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
I used to go to Faro every summer from 1994-2001. Latter trips on (T) AP from LHR, one in Air Macao colours earlier on a variety of charters including Ambassador and Sabre . Having come back from 3 years in Stockholm, with lots of travel on pristine Scandi MD80s, the 737-200s from Gatwick were very shabby looking. On one trip- Sabre I think we sat by the wing leading edge, no slat extension before leaving gate, same during taxi, down to the country end of LGW same during holding point wait , same as we started taxying onto runway and I was getting really rather anxious when at last they appeared. I often wondered if it was an SOP with them , can't think why. or they just forgot. I felt very anxious as wife and children with me and was really close to sticking my hand up and saying -ER Miss...... I think this was actually my first trip on a real independent charter airline

Of all the parties liseted on thes eposts I recall BA Airtours 707 400 LHR-FAro out , shuttle configured Trident 3 back.
Out and back LHR-faro on BA Tristar
LGW_FAO Sabre/Ambassador out Monarch 757 back
LGW Montpellier Dan air Comet
ARN- Faro DC10 Sunair (SAS spin off)
LGW-Athens Laker BAC1-11 , along way on one of those .

Other than Faro I never went to any classic sunshine destination although some of these flights were certainly 'unsocial' hours and in the end we decided that a few extra pounds for LHR-Faro on AP at a decent time of day was worth the extra .