PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane flips at Moorabbin airport, trapping pilot
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 00:45
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
POH is as follows;
Balked Landing (Go around) 1. Throttle - full power (max.5800 rpm) 2. Wing flaps - extend as needed 3. Trim - adjust as needed 4. Wing flaps - retract at height of 150 ft after reaching 120 km/h (65 KIAS) 5. Trim - adjust 6. Repeat circuit pattern and landing
This does make some sense to me as being a little more prescriptive for novice pilots. Everywhere I've worked at has had bounce and balloon recovery as part of its syllabus pre-solo. One operator had a strict go-around on bounce/balloon policy, due to the threat of tail strike or prop strike from students trying a second attempt on landing. The same operator also had the students recite a go-around procedure of "Going around, full power, right rudder" as the aircraft had a nasty yaw at low speed,full power application (high power, short tail). Reminding pilots to trim, is a constant thing instructors do, this still happens well into some pilots careers. Pretty sure some airline sim instructors have had to remind some quite high time pilots to trim during approaches and go-rounds, I've heard it in many a debrief.

I once witnessed a student conduct 4 go-rounds during a first solo and then land perfectly, he just didn't feel happy with the first few attempts. I had a student on second solo once have crosswind increase slightly above his comfort level, so he went around, and requested the crossing runway to land. It might be assumed a pilot has airmanship, but if an aircraft has a sneaky bite to it, why not include it in the procedure. The wing flaps extend part is the more peculiar statement, but I don't know this type.

The additive "Repeat circuit pattern and landing" says to me, don't attempt to save the landing, just do another circuit. I was never a fan of teaching students to catch balloons/bounces and try to land extending landing distance and increasing the chances of mishaps. Go-round should be part of a solo check as much as each landing is.