PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC 1-11 Holiday Jets
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2021, 22:01
Akrotiri bad boy

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
My 1-11 trips started with a jump seat ride from MAN - GLA and back circa 1975/6, it was a BA flight but the aircraft was in full BEA colours. Next up was a BCAL flight ex LGW to Gibraltar where we routed directly in, the return was via Faro for a fuel top up, that would have been 1977. Moving on a decade round about '85 I rode a Dan Air number INV - MAN then in '89 a BIA example out of Gutersloh to LGW. That one sticks in my mind as peering down from the cabin window I witnessed fellow ground crew having a spot of bother closing the luggage hold, if it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer. My final 1-11 flight was on a Tarom ROMBAC 1-11 from MAN to Constanta in 1992. The holiday was booked via Teletext and I think the numbers were limited to the seating capacity of the weekly TU154. If however there was a surge in those desperate to enjoy the delights of a recently liberated Black Sea resort then the excess numbers were flown in a back up 1-11. I remember visiting the flight deck and being slightly disconcerted at the European road atlas tucked down the windshield coaming. The Tupolev led the way with the 1-11 slipstreaming behind, I guess if they kept close enough they could get two aircraft on the same flight plan!