PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy’s new unhackable GPS alternative.
Old 1st Jun 2021, 17:30
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

I happen to agree with the folks that rule out satellite systems after one hour of a big conflict. I can also imagine a few scenarios where both contestants might want to retain the sats, maybe in degraded modes to deny the accuracy of JDAM bombs, but good enuf for navigation within a half mile or so.

I do not like depending upon the powerful LORAN systems, as their base stations could be easily targeted and destroyed.

I flew with a cosmic nav system in one of my previous lives, and as good as the doppler component was, it had some problems when over water due to ocean currents. For short flights, no problem for nav, but nothing like the current GPS bombs for putting one down in the warlord's tent. I did work with the fellows developing the original JDAM here at Eglin back in early 90's. The test bombs averaged about 4 and half meters using garage breadboard ciruits and such!

Doppler systems are great, but also radiate. So kiss off LO tactics withjout super planning and such, and zero bomb guidance like JDAM.

As an experieced war planner that has flown two extremely advanced avionics systems ( one in combat), a future air force must continue to develop and employ self-contained systems for nav. The super precision sat bombs and missiles will likely not be there for the "big" show, IMHO.
So practice DR nav and manual bombing. However, and a big one.... the inertial bombing computers are great for the very short time frames they are used to generate velocities and attitudes. A few knots of drift are not a problem during a weapon time of flight. Further, the new algorithms and filters can greatly improve the performance of navigation inertial systems that are not like the ones we had 50 years ago with the "stable table" and complicated gyro platform with its accelerometers.

Good discussion here, but I still think the hackers will be a problem for the satellite folks, and then there's the actual physical and electronic attacks.

Gums sends...