PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2021, 02:47
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
FH likes to bring up the Gulf of Mexico and we know he flew Black and Yellow Bell Jet Rangers of different models during his tenure down in the Gulf.

His outfit had an owner who was one of the early Helicopter Company owners who built a very large business providing offshore oil support.

He also had a reputation, even if not earned necessarily, that was similar to that described by Megan....despite being at opposite ends of the World.

I was sat in a crew room of a smallish oil company in a Kingdom on the non-Persian side of the Persian Gulf one day when the Chief Pilot asked one of the guys if he had ever worked for that Yellow/Black company.....to be told "Nope...not until I hired on here!".

That was no the right answer I judged by the look on the CP's face.

I was so impressed by that operation that I took on my room name of "Sasless"....but that is a yarn for another time.

Megan is right....an Operator's Management sets the tone and rules (written and un-written) that determine the Safety Climate....as we know from old wive's tales....."The Fish rots from the Head!".

Most see real safety as being a direct threat to profitability.... their bonus check and and promotion opportunities.

They can always blame someone else for the crash and point fingers away from them.

Sometimes they sue Air Controllers.