PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MOD Diversity Chief
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2021, 01:14
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Recently, while playing sports with my buddies, I happened to use the term "guys" to refer to our team - which had both males and females on it. One of the male team members gently chastised me - commenting that in the diversity class he'd recently taken at his job, he was informed that referring to females as 'guys' was a "micro aggression" by some women. I responded that I considered 'guys' to be a somewhat generic team - not male specific. He agreed that he'd also considered 'guys' to be a somewhat generic term, but at least one women in the diversity class had agreed that being referred to as 'guys' was a "micro aggression". I responded (joking) "so I should say 'guys and chicks'?" (BTW I can accept women not wanting to be referred to as 'chicks' - it can be somewhat derogatory). Then, on a slightly more serious note, I asked him if I should be expecting an apology from all the women who refused to date me when I was young because I was short...?

Where does it stop? Are we going to need to replace the words "women" and "female" because they contain 'men' and 'male'? Words and phrases that we considered proper and polite just a year or two ago are now considered insults or aggressions by the perpetually offended woke crowd. Just keeping up with the changing standards is tiresome and detracts from actual productive activities.
The perpetually offended are going to be perpetually offended, no matter what we do or what words we use. At some point you simply have to tell them to off and grow up.