PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC 1-11 Holiday Jets
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2021, 16:34
rog747

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
My last-ish BAC 1-11 flights were on DAN AIR's G-TARO, a night ATH-LGW leaving about 03.30L from the hot and sweaty pure chaos that was the old ATH International Terminal -
TARO slogged through the night and took around 4M 45M flying time.
Stupidly I chose this one as there were loads of empty seats, although I had a choice of about 6 flights to get home on (Standby Staff Travel) including a MON 757 and 2 DA 727's that all left after us, but then proceeded to overtake us over Europe! I was fuming.

I then did BIA 1-11 500 LGW-IBZ-LGW for a week's Hol, seat only for £35 return!
Catering was a sausage roll and a fruit tart - (Did it still have seat back catering??)

My very last flights I recall, was a few years later, in Summer 1991 I think, which was again a DAN AIR 1-11 500 both ways, LGW-Montpellier-LGW using their Scheduled Service to visit a pal's remote old stone country cottage in the pretty Hérault region in Languedoc-Roussillon. It was so hot, but there was a lake and a river close by for swimming.
Mostly second homers and holidaymakers on-board.
Very nice drinks and hot meal service that Dan Air Scheduled became famous for, but sadly all rather too late to save them...

My first 1-11 flights were British Eagle 1-11's LHR to Venice, and Djerba, when we stopped in Tunis on the way back to pick up some more pax.
I've got all the 1-11's names that we flew on somewhere.
SWIFT and SERENE were the 207's -- SURE STALWART SUPREME SPUR SALUTE were the 301/304's
Then -
Channel AW from SEN to Gerona on G-AVGP
Later on was Laker, BUA, Autair, and Dan Air 1-11's to Palma, BCN and IBZ, respectively out of LGW & LTN (G-AZED was one of them)
Caledonian in 1970 LGW to Palma on G-AWWX Flagship Isle of Skye, and the following year LGW to NAP as Caledonian//BUA, came back on G-AXYD.
1972 saw BCAL an aircraft short due to G-AWYS, so our LGW-DBV-LGW was subbed to a yellow Northeast Trident on the way out, and amazingly we got the Wardair 727 on the way home 2 weeks later.
Took my Mum to Majorca for a £10 all-in 3 night Holiday in Feb 1973 and the outbound 1-11 was G-AWYS!

Started then to fly on Court Line and managed all the 4 colours! (Lilac was the best) and on one of the leased BMA hybrids.