PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2021, 13:42
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Gulli and Megan in the same cockpit.....now there's a thought once imagined cannot be erased!

Single pilot at night on the North Sea.....been there done that....but not for long...one night arriving back to Sumburgh in some grotty weather enjoying the simplicity of Decca 19 where a chart change and Key Change were required....cruising along at 300 feet to stay out of ice....flying with my knees.....we have progressed from those times.

Enough for the nostalgia.

I ran across this CFIT Work Sheet at the Air Safety Foundation the other night and found it interesting.

I will admit the practice of using such a Check List came late into my flying career which was first seen as being just so much eye wash and box checking.

That was until I attended a very good Safety Course put on by the HAI and I saw where having a good Safety Climate could be effective and I began to use those principles.

One of which is if you include Risk Assessments in your SMS...you actually use them and procedures set forth in the Safety Program...no matter who the Pilot is.

One of the things I fault the NTSB for in this Investigation of how that was done by the Operator and Pilot on the day of the crash....but in the years before the crash.

The Operator has had other events that could have been fatal accidents except for the blessings of good fortune.

As I worked my way through this Risk Checklist....knowing what we do from the NTSB Accident Investigation....one thing became quite clear to me....they were an accident waiting to happen,

Do that yourself and see what results you come up with at the end of this one Check List....but remember in order for these Lists to be effective guides.....they must be used and the procedures governing their use by Operator SOP's MUST be followed or it becomes just another Box Ticking exercise.

As you go through that Check List...be careful to attribute positive marks only when you know that practice to be done and not just be done on paper alone and not be effectively done....as in the 36 Minute Check Ride.

Looking back....I am sure FED, Megan, and Gulli would agree our early experiences would have not done well on this check list either.....beginning with it would never have seen the light of day. where we were emplioyed in those days.

After all....the customer had to have the morning papers and the replacement copying machine (one such night flight in genuinely rotten weather I recall with much warmth).

https://flightsafety.org/wp-content/...cfit_check.pdf