PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737-200 'Holiday Jets'
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2021, 09:58
rog747

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Tarom used almost anything on their IT charters IL-18, 1-11, IL-62, TU-154, and 707's to LGW, MAN, BHX, and LTN...Rather like JAT Charters used 707, 727, DC-9 etc

On the scheds into LHR again one saw many of Tarom types used over the years including 707's.

My last 737-200 flights were all from Mykonos to LGW I think, and they all stopped at ATH to fuel up and even cater - Caledonian and GB Airways Leisure flights,
plus a Britannia 732 on a 4 day jolly out to IBZ - was on an old one - single galley at front and a great Hot breakfast.
All of these were in the early 1990's.

Most memorable 737-200 flight -
Air Lanka 1980 CMB-Maldives-CMB on their then new once weekly flight to a tiny white coral strip now known as Male Velana International Airport (or the Heathrow of the Indian Ocean)
Flying low over the stunning blue atolls and tiny islands was amazing - Skipper was an Ozzie and let me sit in the flight deck for landing to this beautiful paradise.
Had 3 magical weeks on a tiny desert island in a thatched hut for USD15 Full Board per day...
Booked my flight with the lovely CMB town office manager lady for who had worked for BOAC & Air Ceylon (just changing to Air Lanka) and she gave me an ID50 firm staff travel to stay a week - I ended up staying 3...
Sitting on the beach one day I was startled by an LTU Tristar flying past the lagoon at around 500 feet buzzing the islands after take off going back to Germany.
Seems this was a favourite jaunt of LTU's to show off the islands to the passengers.
The LTU crew all stayed on Bandos where I visited for a day boat trip from my island.