PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Pilots Notes - Cover Font???
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2021, 21:21
FlightlessParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Innominate
The orange cover is typical of the early series of Pilot's Notes issued from about 1940. Later issues had the blue covers - the one in the image states "2nd edtion" in the top left corner. The acknowledgement to HMSO is because it's a facsimile; such things have been published since (I think) the 1970s and are still available.
Thank you--you've got me interested in this topic now. I found on-line an orange-cover set of notes for the Horsa, which include instructions for casting off; the tug pilot is advised to take care not to get in the way of the glider. I've also discovered you can get the Hurricane notes in Kindle format, so I've now got them on my phone in case the need should arise.

Is the history of publication of these notes described anywhere? I'm a bit interested in how the early ones were reproduced, because they seem to be mostly typescript with half-tone illustrations. These days reproducing that would be simple, but in the 1940s there'd be a fairly intricate choice of medium involved.