PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2021, 14:17
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VS

Sadly, you're right. The airline is/has just undergone an enormous restructuring programme, including fleet downsizing and massive redundancies in an attempt to stay afloat in the midst of this truly awful pandemic. It is such a shame for both the airline and of course, for LGW, as it had historically been the birth place of the airline. Even prior to Covid, it is arguable that VS's commitment to LGW was questionable on the basis of stagnant growth, long standing leisure routes being moved across to LHR (LAS springs to mind) and the "flagship" A350s and 789s being stationed at LHR while older A332s and 744s were handed down to Gatwick. Saying that, I do recall VS planning to launch service to JFK from Gatwick, although I suspect this was largely driven to drive DY/BA off the route as opposed to base expansion. I really hope that VS will return to Gatwick one day, perhaps once LHR fills up again and VS need to utilise their slot portfolio to grow their business route frequencies (JFK, LAX et al.), then its possible the leisure and Caribbean flying will be transferred back to Gatwick. I think VS were quoted as mentioning they would be retaining their Gatwick slot portfolio for this such instance, does anyone know if they still have hold over the slots? They invested £££££££ in their check in/lounge there following the move to the North Terminal, so everything would (presumably) be ready to go for them if they come back.