PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2021, 19:25
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
SAS, you’ll recall that I got a CH-47 checkout from two Boeing test pilots immediately after graduating from flight school, and recall the Differential Collective Pitch system clearly ( because I pestered those two guys about explaining the why and wherefore-the flight manual was no help and the checkout at the test board was old fashioned: take the flight manual test, fly it for 20 hrs, and get signed off. As I recall, the no-no you referred to bit a couple of USMC aviators in the similar CH-46 ).

Back to this accident: haven’t seen any indication there was an aircraft problem, and ATC provided the help they could, but they certainly can’t fly the aircraft for the pilot. Flying VIP’s in the LA basin and expecting to meet your schedule and never, never have to resort to some IFR flying? That’s a “ C’mon man “. No indication from the posts that the operation prepared for this eventuality.

TT I just saw and read your sentence: “Immediate yes, but don’t forget that PBA working in the background; it can help so much against flapback that it can seriously spoil your day.”
As I mentioned previously, its there only to provide an artificial positive stick slope vs speed, and is a series actuator,, i.e. does not apply force/movement to the cyclic. There is sufficient longitudinal control available to deal with an inoperative PBA, at whatever position it were to fail.

Last edited by JohnDixson; 29th May 2021 at 19:50. Reason: additional thought