PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2003, 09:21
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry RDR, just posted while you where writting yours.
Agreed, for my part this is the end of the story, and no I will not put it onto another thread - it is the end of the story!
However I got plenty of confirmation on these sujects on the course, so here they are........again.

Back again,

first, Lu:

a) We are not insured with pathfinder, I guess they only cover USA.
b) I am not company loyal to R, but loyal to a great performing helicopter, which like all others needs good maintenance to stay great, but it does certain things a whole lot better than others.
c) I don' t know for sure, but was there any accident where sideslip was a factor WITHOUT first getting into low-g (which is not unique to the Robinson....) or some kind of turbulence?
d) There is actually no increased flapping action in a stable sideslip. For a given speed and powersetting (or collective position) the rotor will not actually flap more in a sideslip. What you have is a reduced, available teeter angle (or whatever this one is called) between the rotorhead (rotor disc) and the mast, for the increased inclination of the fuselage (and therefor the mast) against the rotordisc. But there is no increased flapping in a sense that the blades go up and down further then in forward flight for the same speed/power setting. Though you may need more power to maintain the same speed sideways for the increased drag from the fuselage.
If you maintain a smooth flight (and flight conditions) you may verywell use the helicopters ability.
e)Confirmed by the man doing the course: "The recommedations where put into the book to remind the AVERAGE pilot on normal good piloting skills.

There are sooo many comercial pilots out there who seem never have learned to pay attention to their back, the ball in the turn coordinator or the wind strings on the windshield, it is amazing! They all crab along day in, day out.
It is just there to remind the pilots on good piloting practise and to pay attention to your indicators.

If you need to go sideslipping or out of trim flying, you are expected to know what you do, and do it according to the tighter limits that your are dealing with at this moment.

Last time: IT IS NOT PROHIBITED, LIMITED, just recommended.

f) Probably tomorrow I will copy the sections mentioned before:
WELL ACTUALLY NOT, AS THIS IS THE END OF THE STORY!
If anyone needs it anyway, please send me a message and I will post it on a new thread!

Lu, the recommendations on sideslip and out of trim are mentioned in conjunction with moderate to severe turbulence, low-g and low-g recovery. Though it is good practise to watch out for this at all times, okay?

Of course if you are in this situation (turbulence, low-g) you would want to keep everything as centered as possible, just as it is taught in every decent flight school...........End of story.

To all and Lu:

g) The recommeded recovery technic from low-g:
immediate, but very little (called "gentle" in the POH) aft cyclic ("apply a little aft pressure", but I guess for grammatical interpretation reasons it has to be called: move the cyclic...) plus a little to the left (FOR ALL American style helicopters, including the 90 degree Bell206!!!).

Once the rotor is loaded again, the slight left cyclic will have the disk in the right position to recover from the right roll a little easier and earlier.
However as this will most likely be missinterpretated at some point by a less than perfect pilot, the left part of the equation was eliminated from the POH recommendation, to avoid that someone is pulling ALL THE WAY. It is believed that not mentioning the "little left" will cause less problems than a misinterpretated one.
According to the man at hand, who has his about 18000 hrs well split between Robinson time and anything else with some really heavy equipment (I call Hueys, 212, Dolphines, etc. heavy...) mixed in, the recovery is the same for the same direction of rotor rotation. Actually the Huey is WORSE than a 206 or Robinson, as the T/R is already above the CG at most times except steep flairs or pullup's. It also has a way "better" arm on the CG to get it rolling.
Again then, no special "18 degrees problem" here.....

h) Question to all: Does any other brand even mention a low-g recovery technic or low-g at all in their POH?
I know the EC120B doesn't. I don't remember the 206 or Bell47.

You know, it is amazing that there is a company that actually gives you an advice how to get out of a situation you should not get yourself into in the first place, and what they get for it is, that their machine gets marked as dangerous, all the while the same can happen just as easy in about ANY helicopter, except the rigid ones.

Lu, you mention that R is just covering his a**s, are the other ones doing that by not mentioning anything in this respect at all?

i) Nothing new, that the man knows, on the unresolved complete loss of the rotor with the mast of a R-22, some 15 years ago, mentioned on this thread (japanese lady on board?)

Enough rambled,
got to go and play with my son!

3top,

Last edited by 3top; 15th Dec 2003 at 09:37.