PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Update-
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2021, 15:15
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by FH1100 Pilot
,...People often castigate and insult me because I don't have an Instrument Rating. But over my whole career, I've either stayed low or turned around or...gee, imagine this...LANDED. You know why I never "went IMC?" Because I never pretended that I could fly on instruments. Like Ara. And like so many other superior, Instrument-rated and supposedly competent pilots (perhaps like yourself)... but who've met their demise due to overconfidence in their abilities. (Plus, I've never flown any helicopter that was IFR-capable...or certified...or was able to carry enough fuel for an IFR flight after loading up all the crap.)
So you never became that "better pilot" the Instrument Rating is supposed to make you,...yet you somehow survived a career at this?

Yeah, I met a few of old guys like you during my training. With my generation though, its, "No IR? Sorry, but you're not even qualified to do photo flights in an R22,...let alone fly tourist in a straight line for five minutes over the Vegas strip!"

Yep, plenty of old guys did just fine without it, but we younger guys (well relatively younger) who have to have it keep killing ourselves in IIMC. Kinda makes you think...?