PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 39 years
Thread: 39 years
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2021, 08:03
Mogwi

Received 378 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by sandiego89
Great stuff Mogwi, Thank you for taking the the time. One more if I may? While much has been touted about the AIM-9L "Lima" performance, what are your thoughts on how things would have gone with earlier versions of the Sidewinder on the Sea Harriers? It seems many of the engagements were from the rear hemisphere. Think you would have gotten a tone with the "old" AIM-9?
Yes, a good question. Almost all of the kills were from the stern sector and could have been valid shots with the AIM9G. There were, of course major improvements in homing head, warhead and fusing in the L, as well as manoeuvrability, which may have been a factor - but most would have been valid G shots.

My first shot was fired below 50' and may or may not have worked with a G but the second, although fired in the stern sector, impacted at at more like 90 degrees. I have not seen any analysis of whether a G fusing would have handled this but maybe Gum can help.

There was obviously a psychological factor as well, as the opposition knew we were fielding the L, with its well deserved, awesome reputation.

Mog